More than 200 school principals, administrators and representatives from school organising bodies attend the pre-term seminar organised by the Ministry of Education of Chang Ping. It was said to be a historic seminar, of such combination and scale.
Three speakers: Ms Li, a research officer, Mr. Li, head of the Ministry of Education, and Mr. Liu, head of the Communist Party of Chan Ping. Ms Li reported the work of the past six months, focussing on kindergartens and case studies of private schools. Mr. Li delivered the plans for 2015-2020 - building brand schools and making Chang Ping leader of the Dongguang East. One interesting point is the plan for government to purchase places from outstanding private schools. This will strengthen government education.
What interests me most is the speech by Mr. Liu, a communist party officer. He is middle aged. He is rather critical, pointing out the inadequacies in Chang Ping education. He urged the ministry of education to be real leaders and take actions in pushing reforms. Here are the main ideas of his speech:
1. fully implement socialism core value education
2. fully grasp core competencies: teachers, teaching and nurturing children's skills, and whole person development.
3. build brand schools
4. good strategic planning
5. develop talents- especially the young teachers who are energetic, capable and dedicated to education and empower them
Those who are not qualified must be sacked if they cannot meet the basic requirements and failed to pass teachers' certificate tests.
"Our team cannot be adversely affected because of the school's mismanagement. The quality of education of our children is being sacrificed so as to protect these substandard teachers."
6. Improve the management system.
7. Provide good services and be humanistic and caring - government officers are servants of the people. Create a warm and caring community in school. Teachers are not instruments. Teachers need to feel happy. We need to know teachers' needs. Local teachers should take initiative in helping with the newcomers from other provinces.
8. Strengthen implementation capacity. Some school principals, vice principals and senior teachers refused to do classroom teaching. They have lost enthusiasm. Leaders should demonstrate and take the lead in teaching.
9. The external environment has changed. Things are normalising. We all have to learn to transform, back from abnormal to normal. No moon cakes and no other gifts. We must tell staff and others this.
A very authoritative speech, but good.